A celebration that is common to South India, Kartiga Deepam or the Lights of Kartikeya, (also known as Murugan, the Lord of War & Battle Strategy), is a ritual of paving darkness into the light. It is a time when homes throughout South India lines the external parts of their homes with ghee lamps to ward off darkness, evil and negative energies.
Sri Ramana Maharshi described the meaning of this event in this way:
“Getting rid of the `I am the body,’ idea and merging the mind into the Heart to realize the Self as a non-dual being and the light of all – the real significance of darshan (obeisance and offerings), of the beacon of light on Annamalai, in South India, known to be, the centre of the Universe.”
Karthigai Deepam has been since time immemorial been lit up at 6.00 pm each year on the top of the Thiruvannamalai hill – hence, it is believed that it is an auspicious time for us to light our lamps in the exterior of our homes at 6pm as well – the timing follows the time difference of the country you reside in.
Karthigai Nakshathram Begins at 08:38 am (Indian Time) on Dec 06, 2022 and ends at 10:25 am ( Indian Time) on Dec 07, 2022.
BENEFITS OF OBSERVING KARTHIGAI DEEPAM
Worshiping Lord Shiva and Lord Muruga on Karthigai Deepam can bestow the following benefits to you:
- Remove the darkness in the form of negativities.
- Fulfillment of wishes
Bestow auspiciousness, prosperity, and happiness for business and financial ventures.
- Put an end to worries and help attain inner peace.
- Vanquishes pride, ego and self-centeredness.
- ♡ Offer a tray of nine ghee lamps with 3 different types of fruits, sweets and yellow coloured flowers and place on the NorthEast Quadrant of your home.
- ♡ Place 18/27 ghee lamps starting from front door of your home outwards to the wall lining of your house to create a border of lights.
- ♡ Pray to Lord Shiva (Father of Karthikeya), and Lord Karthikeya (Murugan), to heal and eradicate your dis-ease, displeasure and discomfort.
Open your heart and bare your Soul to the purity of the light that is within.
May you rise in the light of your ascension.
Om Devayai Namah!
Image credit: Pinterest
SUJATA NANDY WORLD GURUKUL