Pradosh is considered to be one of the most powerful vrats, (fasts), according to ancient Hindu wisdom, where it is believed that Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati grant all heartfelt wishes to their devotees on this day.
This auspicious day is observed by worshiping Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. According to the Hindu calendar, the Pradosh rituals begin at sandhya kala (twilight) at dusk between 5.45pm – 6.45pm, an hour before sunset. On this day Shiva is worshiped with mantra chanting and abhishek (bathing ritual), as a way to express respect and gratitude.
Believed to be a day of success, well-being, welfare and happiness and it is said, that all propitious work should be done on this day.
The most important feature of the day is to pray to a Shivling and offer milk abhishek (bath) with white flowers, while chanting.
The Pradosh Vrat begins from the morning, which marks the beginning of the Pradosh day. According to Hindu calenders and beliefs, this ritual starts when the sun rises in the morning. So, the vrats starts and is continued through the whole day and night, one can only break the fast, when the next morning comes and you prepare fresh food to start your next day. Some devotees believe in fasting from sunrise to sunset, and as the sun sets, Lord Shiva’s shrine is celebrated and all the rituals are followed throughout the night.
RITUALS FOR PUJA
- Place Shivling in Eastern corner of the altar/sacred space;
- Abhishek ingredients: milk and white holy ash (vibhudhi), and sandalwood powder to be diluted in water for the bathing of the Shivling. All to have flower petals in them. Each one of the powders is to represent individual offering of purity, sacredness and consciousness respectively;
- honey and holy water are also to be offered for the final cleansing;
- a white garland of flowers to be offered after bath;
- 1 ghee lamp;
- 3 types of fruits to be diced and offered as food offering;
- vilva leaves;
- 108 Rudra mala – chant:
” Om Namah Shivaya”
Keep ghee lamp burning till it fades out on its own and break fast with diced fruits offered. Set the intention of world healing and restoration and send out the golden light of love to all Beings.
Wishing you a Happy and safe Pradosh Vrat.
SUJATA NANDY WORLD GURUKUL