Varalakshmi Vratam (fasting) is a ritual that is mostly observed by married woman (sumangalis) for the wellbeing of their husbands, children and other family members. According to Hindu tradition, worshiping the Goddess Varalakshmi on this day is equivalent to worshiping the Ashtalakshmi – the eight goddesses of Wealth, Earth, Wisdom, Love, Fame, Peace, Contentment and Strength.
The consort of Lord Vishnu, Varalakshmi (Vara means boon giving, Lakshmi means Goddess of Wealth), Vratam is a festival that is usually celebrated in the states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Maharastra and Uttar Pradesh.
On this day, all 8 Ashta Lakshmis are worshipped as a collective whole and they are:
– Aadi Lakshmi (the Protector);
– Dhana Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth);
– Dhairya Lakshmi (Goddess of Courage);
– Saubhagya Lakshmi (Goddess of Prosperity);
– Lakshmi Vijaya Lakshmi (Goddess of Victory);
– Dhanya Lakshmi (Goddess of Nourishment);
– Santaana Lakshmi (Goddess of Progeny); and
– Vidhya (Goddess of Wisdom).
It is believed that if the Goddess is pleased with Her devotees and their dedication, She showers them with everything they have asked for from wealth to happiness, She bestows the ones with the pure hearts. Ask only for what you need, not what you desire, and She will gift you everything.
VARALAKSHMI VRATAM TIMING
The fasting hours commemorate the timings as mentioned below. Generally it is a whole day’s of fasting when the fast is broken only after 3am on the 1st August 2020.
*Simha Lagna Puja Muhurat (morning) – 07:15 AM to 09:18 AM
Duration – 02 Hours 03 Mins
*Vrishchika Lagna Puja Muhurat (afternoon) – 01:26 PM to 03:38 PM
Duration – 02 Hours 12 Mins
*Kumbha Lagna Puja Muhurat (evening) – 07:39 PM to 09:21 PM
Duration – 01 Hour 42 Mins
*Vrishabha Lagna Puja Muhurat (midnight) – 12:48 AM to 02:51 AM, Aug 01
Duration – 02 Hours 02 Mins
The importance or the significance of the Varalakshmi Vrat was narrated by Lord Shiva to Goddess Parvathi in the Skanda Purana. Those who perform this Vratam will be blessed with Dhana (seeds and legumes), Dhanya (food), Aayu (Long life), Aarogya (health), Aishwarya (wealth), Santanana (progeny) and Soubhagya (long life of husband).
WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR THE PUJA
1. Goddess Varalakshmi statue or photo,
2. Yellow flowers garland,
3. Mango leaves, betel leaves, and betel nuts,
4. Kumkum or sindoor (red vermillion powder), turmeric and Vibhuti (white ash powder),
5. 2 coconuts along with five types of flowers, sandalwood,
6. Panchamrita (5 nectars – ghee, yoghurt, milk, honey, sugar)
7. Agarbatthi or incense sticks, and
8. 8 ghee lamps made from the navdhana (or 9 grains).
*If you cannot get the 9 grain diya, you can offer the wheat flour lamp.
PRASAD OR OFFERINGS
It is often said that Goddess Lakshmi loves anything that is made from rice. SO one can make different varieties using tamarind rice or kheer.
CHANT 108X per mantra for the duration of the vrat:
You can use a lotus flower seed japa male for this or a rudra mala to offer this chanting.
– Om Shreem Maha Lakshmiyei Namaha
– Om Hreem Shreem Lakshmibhayo Namaha
– Om Shree Mahalakshmyai Cha Vidmahe Vishnu Patnayai Cha Dheemahi Tanno Lakshmi Prachodayat Om
– Om Shring Hring Kling Aing Saung Om Hring Ka A Ee La Hring Ha Sa Ka Ha La Hring Sakal Hring Saung Aing Kling Hring Shring Om
The mantras above as the simplest and the most potent of all Lakshmi mantras – take your time and chant them slowly. The most important thing to remember is not getting the count right but getting the vibration of the mantras to resonate within your whole body. These mantras can move mountains and is known to change financial shifts positively. Chant with the purity of your heart and all will be bestowed upon you.
May the deepa (light) of your life, provide you aaroghya (health), aishwarya (wealth) and saugbahya (long life).
Om Sri Matre Namaha.
SUJATA NANDY WORLD GURUKUL